Are you looking to add a new caravan air conditioner, or upgrade your existing caravan air conditioner? Well, there’s quite a few things to take into consideration. Here are the common questions we get:
- What capacity air conditioner do I need for my caravan?
- This is based on the length of your van, and is basically more than 16′ or less than 16′. Larger vans require a 3+ kW air conditioner. Smaller vans can use a 2.2+ kW air conditioner.
- Can I have a roof mounted air conditioner?
- This depends on the strength of your roof. Most full height caravans and motorhomes are fine to support even the largest air conditioners. However, pop-tops and campers definitely need a additional H frame for support.
- Can I run it from a generator?
- Again it depends on the capacity. The smaller 2.2kW air cons should run fine from a 2kVa generator like the Yamaha. The larger 3.2kW air cons need a 2.4kVa generator or larger.
There is a really great guide explaining all the relevant factors here.
Also, there is a head–to-head comparison of all caravan air conditioners here.