One of the challenges of caravan or motorhome travelling, particularly in remote locations, is sourcing enough fresh water that is safe for drinking and showering. Many campgrounds and national parks located out of town will often only have untreated rain water or water sourced from a creek or bore available. Untreated water can contain bacteria that causes illness, dirt and algae – which is not what you want for filling up your fresh water tanks. It can also be difficult to identify whether water available at a tap is drinking quality or requires boiling before use.
Here are our fresh water tank tips for caravanners for fresh tasting tank water that is safe to drink:
- Never fill your fresh water tank with an ordinary garden hose. Garden hoses are likely to leach into water – changing the taste of the water. This taste can remain in your freshwater tank even after you have emptied it and refilled with a drinking quality hose. Always use a hose designed for drinking water.
- Clean your freshwater tank for better tasting water. Camec Tank Cleen is great for removing any mould, algae or bacteria in your freshwater tank. It’s a great idea to freshen your tank after it has been in storage.
- Filter the water that enters your tanks.
The B.E.S.T Inline Water Filter has been very popular with our customers. B.E.S.T stands for Bacteria Eliminating Silver Treatment and the filtration system consists of carbon/charcoal in the centre and silver coated crystals at each end of the filter. The filter eliminates bacteria and removes chemicals, sediment and odours meaning the water will be safe to drink and have a fresh taste.
The B.E.S.T filter connects to your caravan water supply in a couple of ways but the most popular is to install it inline on the hose connected directly to the mains (caravan park) water so all water going into your caravan tank is filtered.
All water filters improve water quality but here are the reasons we particularly like the B.E.S.T Inline Filter:
- Installation is very simple DIY – just connect it to a hose. You can install mounts inside or under your caravan for a neat look if desired.
- Small size means it is easy to pack
- Easy to clean and can be done in 30 seconds by simply reversing the direction of the filter and flushing out with fresh water from the hose.
- Life of 5000 litres.
- Brass or plastic fittings available.
- Australian designed and made product.
Either the BEST water filter, or a range of other filters, can be installed as “under bench” units, which filter the water to a specific drinking water tap. We have kits that include the tap and faucet too. These are quick to install and can be either used stand-alone, or conjunction with the inline filter on the feed hose. This type of installation will cause the water filter to last longer as it is only filtering water that you drink.
No matter what the water quality is like where you are filling up, a water filter and clean freshwater tank will mean that the water out of the tap in your caravan or motorhome is good to drink. At the RV Service Centre we stock B.E.S.T Inline Filters and accessories and a range of products to keep your caravan or motorhome fresh water healthy and tasting good. Visit our showroom to view the range or give us a call. We can arrange postage directly to you anywhere in Australia.