Follow our caravan awning care guide to extend the life of your awning and keep it looking brand new.
- Every time you roll up your awning give the awning a quick clean off with a dry-broom to remove any tree sap, leaves etc that may have landed on the awning.
- Make sure the awning is dry before rolling it up. Moisture left on a rolled up awning will quickly become mouldy and difficult to clean. If you are rolling up the awning in the rain then remember to unroll the awning and dry it off when you get home. You will thank yourself later.
- Use a proper awning cleaning product to extend the life of the vinyl. Using regular household cleaners can weaken the vinyl and damage the waterproof surface.
- Use an awning cover when your van is in storage. There are a couple of types of awning cover that will protect the vinyl from the harsh effects of the weather. We stock and fit both Snap on Awning Protectors and Pivot Awning Protectors that are fixed to the caravan.
- When you are rolling up the awning or rolling it out always ensure that the pull-down strap is in the centre of the awning.
- Awnings may need retensioning if the vinyl isn’t rolling up straight or has started to sag. Awnings have high tension springs and retensioning the awning can be a dangerous job. This is one job you might not want to DIY because if you don’t know what you’re doing you could lose your fingers.
Following a few simple tips and getting a professional to service your caravan awning will keep your awning looking great and will prolong it’s life. This will save you money in the long term and will help with the future resale value of your caravan. At the RV Service Centre we carry out caravan awning servicing, repairs and stock caravan awning protectors and cleaners to help you extend the life of your awning.